Summer is just about over. With August winding down we begin to see tell-tale signs of fall. Some leaves are starting to fall, the nights are cooler, darkness comes earlier, and the State Fair is attracting crowds in the cities.
Many of you when you see me ask, “How’s it going with your new adventure?” My answer: “Very good!” My summer is summarized in one word: EDUCATION. I have been learning a lot.
- The first kind of education I experienced was online learning. I worked on my Century 21 online training course, and then I took a special course to qualify for a designation from the National Association of Realtors called Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES). Century 21 provides so many opportunities to continue to learn. I love it!
- I have been learning by experience. I’ve written several purchase agreements that have been accepted, and have helped a young couple put their house on the market as their listing agent. These experiences have been very beneficial to me for my learning. I’ve always believed the best learning is by doing. I found myself going to my mentor Gay Folden quite a bit to ask questions and just to make sure that I was doing things right. Like everything in life, once you do things a few times, they become more natural. I am feeling now much more comfortable with the paperwork requirements for transactions.
- I have been learning by observation. I watch the other agents in the Century 21 office. I see how they do things. I ask questions and get answers. I have been out to a number of homes to look at them, and evaluate them, and make comparisons with other homes for market analysis using the MLS. I’m starting to get a little better grasp of what homes are worth in Fergus Falls. We have such a beautiful city with great homes!
- I have been learning by trial and error. One of the things I’m trying to do is get an online marketing presence. I’m using Facebook more, creating my own website and developing a monthly email newsletter. These creative attempts are all try it, see how it looks, google some more instructions, go back and fix it and hope it looks ok. This has really been fun for me just seeing all that the Internet does have to offer and the different things that can be done. I am excited about Century 21 Vista’s commitment to using the internet.
- I have been learning by reality, the way things are. I am learning that it takes time to build experience, to build trust, to build relationships, and to make my name as a Realtor known in Fergus Falls. This does not just happen overnight. We have some very good Realtors in town who have spent many years honing their skills and they do a great job. My hope is that I can get up to speed as quickly as possible.
I have enjoyed this summer, working in the Century 21 office and my home office. But I must say, the most enjoyable times are when I have the opportunity work with and get to know clients (friends), to show them property, and to help them in the buying/selling process. I love the one-on-one experience with people, and also the opportunity to get to know a lot of different homes in Fergus Falls.